Thursday, December 9, 2010

Altered Cabinet Cards by Arlene Mobley

Cabinet Card Images
Distress ink
Acrylic paint
Stamps
Stazon ink
Embellishments
Stickers
Charcoal pencil
Scrapbook paper
Gel pen
Gem embellishments


Glue copies of cabinet cards to a stiff cardboard. Distress edges with ink and a piece of sandpaper or an emory board.


“Lady of Nature”

For the heart and butterfly cabinet card I cut out a piece of paper and masked the image of the woman and stamped the entire background with a French text stamp. I then stamped with a butterfly stamp, bird stamp, flourish stamp and a mini heart stamp with staz on ink.

Once the ink was dried I used acrylic paint mixed with a little bit of acrylic glazing medium to color the background. Glazing medium makes the acrylic paint transparent so your stamped images will show through.

I used distress ink on the edges of the card. Use a charcoal pencil to outline the image of the woman, the heart, bird and butterfly stamped images to make them stand out from the background. To finish it off I went around the edge of the card with the charcoal pencil and smudged.


“Mr Steam-Punk Card”


I gave the black and white image a wash of gold acrylic paint to give it an antique look.
I then colored the black and white image of the man using acrylic paint and distress ink.
I stamped a stop watch on the background and glued steam punk like images on the card. The Victorian shoe was colored with distress ink and hung from the bottom with an eyelet.











“Bad Girl”



I think this one is my favorite of the set. I am not sure if the image is of a boy or girl. It is so hard to tell sometimes with the style in the Victorian era of dressing little boys in dresses. Either way I got a female vibe and that is what I went with.

The background was very dark so using white chalk ink I stamped a postmark and flourish around the edges of the image.

I painted her dress with watered down gesso and then went over that with some peach colored acrylic paint. Once the paint was dry I went around the edges of the dress with a sepia colored gel pen.

Her hat was cut from a piece of scrapbook paper and mounted on card stock.

I cut little strips of scrapbook paper in complimentary colors and glued it along the edges of the image. I stamped a small flower trio around the frame. I added dots with white paint and went around the edges of the scrapbook paper with a charcoal pencil and smudged.

The little sentence along the bottom was cut from an old work book and was the inspiration for the bad girl them.

Pin It

0 friends said: