Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Faux Leafing

Welcome to Technique Tuesday.  It's been a while since I've posted,  but while I've been gone I've taken many classes and workshops, and have lots of new techniques to share.
Today's is one I've been meaning to show you for some time, and was reminded of it in a workshop I took last weekend with Lynne Perrella, a wonderful mixed media collage artist.  It is a way to add the look of gold or silver leaf to your project in a fast, easy, and inexpensive way.
Here is what you'll need:

joss paper (you can find it online or if you have a Chinatown
where you live in most any gift shop there), rubber cement,
paper, and a burnishing tool (I have one that came with a
set of rub-ons, but you can use the back of a spoon)



 Apply some rubber cement to the paper wherever you
want the leafing.  You can do it randomly as I did here, or even
create a pattern by using a stencil:


You must wait for the rubber cement to dry completely.
Then place the "metallic" part of the joss paper face down over
the dried rubber cement and gently burnish.  The gold or silver 
"leaf" transfers easily to the paper. 
 
I cut the leafed paper into smaller pieces and used it to form a mosaic background for this notecard:
All of the added images are on PID sheet #720.  I realize that  most of you probably do not have joss paper in your stash (but you just might have some and didn't know what to do with it), but as I said before, it is not that difficult to find.  And this is a wonderful technique to add to your arsenal.
If you try it, post your creation on the yahoo group or FB page.
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designer

Pin It

3 friends said:

Regina said...

Great tut...thank you. I actually do have some joss paper that I inherited from my mom's craft box and I had no idea how to use it. Now I DO!!!!

Hugs,
Regi

Angie Hall Haviland said...

OHHHH Eileen!! THANKS for sharing! That's pretty NIFTY!

sissy923 said...

Thanks Eileen, going to look for my Joss paper I've had for a long time. The project sounds and looks great.