Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Melted Crayon Backgrounds

Welcome to Technique Tuesday!  My good friend and fellow design teammate here at Paper Imagery Designs, Angie, introduced me to making crayon paper with used dryer sheets.  I spent some time this week using her melting technique on a variety of papers, and this is too much fun not to share with everyone!
This is what you'll need to get started:

crayons, a heat-resistant craft mat, a craft iron (or a travel iron without steam holes or a regular iron with the plate covered with aluminum foil), paper towels,  a variety of papers to experiment with

The basic procedure, regardless of the paper you are using, is to melt crayons (one or several colors at a time) directly on the iron and then transfer them onto paper.
melt
transfer (wiggle the iron around for some cool effects)

If you need to clean the iron before using a new color, just iron on a piece of paper towel.

If you want to add a specific color to a specific part of the paper you can also apply the crayon directly to the paper and iron over it.
Just keep melting crayons and transferring them onto paper until you're satisfied.
Here are my results:
manila tag

another manila tag

watercolor paper

glossy paper

plain copy paper

used dryer sheet

wax paper

This week's challenge theme is School Time/Playmates, so what better background to use than one made with crayons?  Here is my challenge piece:

I used the background I did on one of the manila tags, and coincidentally (we didn't plan it....honest!) the same image that Angie chose.....Ashley and Alexis from sheet #718.  The book is from sheet #649.
Join in the challenge and try the technique.  The share your results with us in the yahoo group or the FB page.
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designer

Pin It

9 friends said:

Tammy D said...

Very cool

TwoHeartsPath said...

I will have to try this one for sure!! I Love all the results you achieved!!
Thanks for sharing!!
Patti

Kerry said...

Definitely going to work on this today! Loved all the tags and results. Thanks for sharing.

Angie Hall Haviland said...

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, Eileen!!! Isn't it a TOTAL BLAST to play with!!!!! :) Love all your samples!! More fun things to use is old book pages, paper flowers, and brown bag/craft paper, coffee filters, etc.

Penny Duncan Creations said...

I've ALWAYS LOVED crayon paper!!!! So pretty and I love how the end piece of ART turned out!!!!

Linda Ledbetter said...

What a completely AWESOME technique! I happen to have a box of crayons languishing away in my art bin, and now I know exactly what to do with them. Thanks for the great tutorial, Eileen!

Lizbethem said...

Thank you so much for this crayon technique. I had such fun all morning and have produced some papers I look forward to using. I hope they don't crack when I cut them.

Bearcrazyman said...

Two of my favorite art girls totally rocking it out.
Love it

Stampin' D'Amour said...

Great tutorial!!! I'll have to try this. :)

-pamela