Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Crumbled Magazine Background

Welcome to Technique Tuesday!  I think today's technique might be the simplest one I've shown you...and yet, the result is striking.  On top of that, you'll have the satisfaction of recycling.  Believe it or not, this is all you need:

  •  an ink pad (your color choice, but I chose a brown for a vintage look)
  • glossy magazine pages
Outdoor scenes or florals are very nice, but this technique will work with advertising pages as well.  Also, try it with just text for another look.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself.  First, take the page you're using and crumble it up into a ball.  Really crumble it well.
Now open it up.
Take the ink pad and rub it all over the page.  The wrinkled areas will take on most of the ink.  Much of the original graphic will be covered with ink, transforming it totally.
**Note:  because the paper is glossy, the ink won't dry right away. Wait for it to air dry, dry it with a heat tool, or even blot it with some paper towel.  Just be aware that it remains wet a bit longer, so you don't get ink all over yourself.**
Now, choose the area you want to use in your project and trim to size.  I'm doing a 4x4 coaster, and here is what my background looks like:
I also cut some to ATC size for future use.
Here's a tip for finding the best area of a large background sheet to use in your project.  I have frames I cut from scrap cardboard (cereal boxes mostly) in the sizes I most often use (ATC, coaster, jumbo ATC, etc.)
Just hold the frame over the background and move it around until you like what you see inside.  Then you know where to trim.
  here?
or here?
or maybe here?
This is another background I did with this technique.  I wanted you to see how this looks on a page of text only.
This week's challenge is "Celebrate A Dad," and here is my finished piece, a vintage style tribute to a father.
I think my crumbled magazine background is perfect for this piece. The very serious looking gentleman is from PID sheet #289.
I hope you'll try this, and also join the weekly challenge and celebrate a dad!
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designs
Design Team

Pin It

8 friends said:

Dorothy said...

Looks so easy and fun! Thanks!

Debby said...

I love this!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

THANKS Eileen...FABULOUS FUN!!!! I have Here? windows for everything I do, even bottle caps and bamboo tiles :)...helps so much

Frarin said...

Wow.. I love this Nice & Simple... Just perfect for making ATC'S or inchies... Thanks for sharing !

Lisa said...

I love the way it totally transforms the look of the image.

Laura said...

Great easy technique and the window for picking the best bit to use is a super idea!

2amscrapper said...

what a fun tutorial!

Queen Bee said...

What a great idea! Love the idea of using a frame to help with selection!
Queen Bee Studio