Monday, June 7, 2010

Altered Tin by Eileen Bellomo

Altered Tin

by Eileen Bellomo

Although you can buy unfinished tins in many shapes and sizes, it is much more gratifying to take one that once held something and alter it. PID also has some Tiny Metal Boxes you can use.  These days many scrapbooking supplies come in Tin , and of course tins also contain cough drops, sucking candies, bandages, and more.

I had this tin that was originally full of some chipboard shapes, and I wanted to transform it into a keepsake container for a dear friend.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

First I covered all the metal with Alcohol Ink .

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Next, I cut some pretty paper to fit inside the tin.  This is from a wallpaper sample book, but scrapbook paper or gift wrap would be great also.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then I started to decorate the lid, which has an acetate panel.  I glued some of my own background paper so it showed through the acetate and trimmed around it  with a border of German scrap, available at the PID shop.  I added my favorite PID images (Pretty Women), a flower I made (the gold rose center can also be found in the shop), a rub-on sentiment on top of the acetate, and some letters to finish it off.  Quite a transformation, I think.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Pin It

5 friends said:

Kerry said...

Love it Eileen! I have several of these boxes and wasn't sure what to do with them. I love your colors, so vivid. Thanks for sharing. Kerry P.

Lori said...

Great use of the MR tins! I have a pile that need altering...yours turned out fab, love the color, and I love that rose!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

WOW---TURNED out great, Eileen!! BEAUTIFUL!

Patzee said...

Love the tin and that double Pretty Women image! I believe I have an altered tin swap in my future and I wonder if I might steal some of these ideas. Hmmmmm.

ScaryCheri said...

Eileen, very cute tin. Love the rose. Hugz, Scary