Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Stamping With Bleach

Welcome to Technique Tuesday!  Today we're raiding the cleaning supplies again for another oldie but goodie...stamping with bleach.  One of the coolest things about this technique is that you can never be sure of the outcome, even within one sheet of paper, which makes it interesting and a whole lot of fun.  Gather together:

  • protection for your work surface
  • a shallow container (I used the lid of disposable container when I couldn't find one shallow enough)
  • bleach
  • several colors of cardstock (dark for the most dramatic effect)
  • paper towels
  • a non-detailed rubber stamp (also called a silhouette stamp)
Work in a well ventilated area.  Fold several layers of paper towels to create a pad and place in the container. Wet thoroughly with bleach, but there is no need to over saturate the paper.
Press the stamp onto the bleach pad.  Experiment with how hard you press....you will get different results using a heavier or lighter touch.
Now stamp onto the cardstock.  Repeat as desired.  Try stamping a second time without reapplying the bleach.  As with stamping with ink, your second impression will look different than the first.  Here are some examples of how my bleach stamping turned out on different colors of cardstock.  You might think the bleached area always turns white....it doesn't, and the results might surprise you.
Stop now, or repeat with a different stamp:
Very interesting backgrounds as is, or you can add back some color to the bleached areas using chalks, inks, or colored pencils:
Remember to wash the bleach off your stamps.   I used one of my backgrounds to cover a tag, and then used the tag in this week's challenge at PID.  The theme is "My Favorite Escape," and for me, that has always been reading.  Books are like magic to me, in that they can take you places without ever leaving your home.  That thought inspired this:
I found the magician's assistant on PID sheet #723(Pin Up Girls Having Fun), and perched her on top of a stack of books (sheet #649).  I put another book in one hand, and coming out of the hat she holds in the other hand, a spring made of jewelry wire, which holds yet another book.  I added the text with a label maker.
Hope you enjoy trying this technique (just make sure the window is opened!), and let us know if you do.
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designs
Design Team

Pin It

6 friends said:

AngieHallHaviland said...

ABSOLUTELY an Oldie but a GOODIE!!! and one I've not done in a long while. It's always so FUN to see the different effects you get on different papers :O) THANKS for sharing, Eileen!

c.louise said...

Being new to rubber stamping and with lots of colored paper on hand now I have a technique I can use to create one of a kind background for those papers. Thank you Eileen for sharing.

Mel♥ said...

Once again Eileen!!! An oldie but sure goody and one I have never tried!!

tracyozzie said...

I absolutely love this. Just beautiful.

Kerry said...

LOve it! Definitely will work on this. I even have that stamp! Thanks so much for sharing. Kerry P.

Lori said...

Now, why didn't I think of PID when I was looking for the pin up, 50's models? How obvious. That's a great image sheet, will have to buy that one. This is a great technique, thanks for reminding us of it, and I think I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again, I LOVE THIS TAG!