Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Inlaid Embossing

Welcome to Technique Tuesday!  I've been away for nearly a week at a wonderful art retreat with friends, and really didn't think I'd have time to do TT this week.  But as luck would have it, I learned an easy and beautiful technique from my friend Val, and wanted to share it with you.   It is very similar to the faux batik technique, but as it stays shiny, no ironing is involved.   Here is what you'll need:

  • chipboard or heavy weight paper
  • clear embossing ink
  • embossing powders (some dark, some light) that give opaque coverage
  • stamp(s) of your choice 
  • heat tool
This technique is usually done to create embellishments, but I thought it would also be a nice background for an ATC.  First, cover the paper or chipboard completely with the clear embossing ink, then cover that with embossing powder and heat set.
Then ink up your stamp with the clear ink and stamp over the previously embossed paper.  Important: make sure the first embossing is completely cooled before you do this step.
Then cover the newly stamped paper with a new color of embossing powder.  The beauty of this technique is in the contrast.  So, if your base color is dark (like mine), now use a light shade.  This is also striking if you begin with a light color and then stamp your image with a darker one.  You can stop at one color, or allow that to cool and then add a second and even third, as I did here:
I think it looks very much like the inlaid enamel you often see on metal pieces.
This week's PID challenge is "Celebrate A Mom," and here is the ATC I did using my inlaid embossing technique as a background:

I love this image....the hairdo and clothing kind of remind me of my own mother when she was young.

As I mentioned, this technique is very effective on embellishments, so I did a few circles to show you what I mean:
 

Eileen 
Paper Imagery Designs
Design Team

Pin It

5 friends said:

Laura said...

Great, thank you for demonstrating the technique!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Oh Eileen..that looks FUN!! I've not seen this technique ... I'll have to give it a whirl!! And love the embellishments!

Scrapping Mom said...

I love this technique. Thank you so much for the wonderful tecniques. Time to go buy somemore clear embossing powder....

Carol said...

Oh I must try this technique on all that ugly paper I have still around here. This certainly will cover all that ugliness. LOL

Chrystal S said...

I've never seen this technique! It looks so simple but so stunning. Thanks!