Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Another Brayer Resist

Back in January I showed you a background technique involving a brayer, embossing powder and patterned paper.  Today's is a different spin on that, and results in a totally different look.

The supplies you'll need are:
  • a page of glossy text (like from a magazine or catalog)
  • light and dark inks and embossing ink
  • clear embossing powder
  • a brayer
  • solid image or silhouette stamps
  • a heat tool
  • paper towel
First, apply some of the light color ink to the text.  I used one color, but you can use more than one.  You don't have to cover the entire page.
Stamp over the page using the embossing ink.  Cover it with clear embossing powder and set it with the heat tool.
Ink up the brayer well with the darker ink. In the supply photo you'll see a red ink pad, but at the last minute I changed my mind and used a dark green.  (Didn't want you to wonder what happened to the red!)  Apply the ink all over the page of text.  Cover everything!
Take the paper towel and buff the page well.  The stamped areas resist the ink and the original color(s) will show through the green, revealing your stamped images.
Trim the paper to the desired size for your project.  I decided to make a greeting card for the "feathered friends" challenge at the PID yahoo group.
I used one of Melissa's wonderful cage die cuts.  It was a beige color, but I inked it up with black pigment ink and embossed it with black embossing powder.  I think it looks like real metal.  I decided to put the bird  outside the cage for a change.  I added some ball chain to the top of the cage, then layered it onto some cardstock and the card base.

Pin It

6 friends said:

2amscrapper said...

thanks for sharing this wonderful technique. beautiful card!

Elaine A said...

Eileen -

I love this technique! What a great background it makes and I really love the way your card came out. Thanks for sharing this with us. I am going to have to give that a try - I really love how it looks.

Elaine Allen

Angie Hall Haviland said...

FABULOUS Technique Eileen...surprised me that it was on a glossy paper (not a book page)...How FUN!!

Really FUNNY we both did a greeting card....No one would believe us that we don't discuss this ahead of time LOL

whyte said...

Thanks for sharing, great background technique!! And for once when I fall in love with a tutorial I already have all the supplies! Can't wait to try!

Kerry said...

I love this technique - will definitely try this out. I love the results you show! Thanks for sharing. Kerry P.

Susan said...

GREAT technique!
Susan