Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Technique Tuesday - When Stamps Kiss!

Today's technique is a real oldie, maybe one of the first "special" stamping techniques I ever learned.  I'd forgotten about it until about a week or so ago when a visit to Wendy Vecchi's blog reminded me.  I don't think it was ever intended for use as a background, but if you like the collage look it works for that purpose very well.  So, let's learn about Kissing Rubber!

You need a few items, and you probably have them all at hand:


  • rubber stamp with solid images (no details)
  • large background stamps
  • paper to stamp on
  • ink pads (I experimented with dye inks, pigment inks and distress inks)
There are actually two versions of Kissing Rubber.  Here's the first.  Ink up a background stamp.
Take your solid image stamp and press it into the inked background stamp.
What happens is, the uninked solid stamp will pick up the pattern of the background stamp.  Then just go ahead and stamp it onto paper.  Different inks result in different effects, but the look is usually soft and subtle with this technique.   Since I'm doing a background, I'm going to cover my paper, collage style.  Stamp one:
On to another solid stamp, another background stamp, and another ink:
I repeated this several times with a few different butterfly and flower solid stamps, and lots of background stamps:
When I was finished with my stamping, I cut my paper to 3x4" because I'm making a jumbo ATC.
There is a second version of Kissing Rubber.  With this one, you begin by inking up a solid stamp really well:
Then press the inked solid stamp into a clean, uninked background stamp:
By doing this, you pull away some of the ink from the solid stamp, leaving behind a negative of the  background stamp's pattern.  Stamp onto paper and you get something like this:
I used a strong color in a pigment ink for this because I want this butterfly to really contrast with the softer background.  Using one of my favorite PID sheets, "Art Heads," I made this jumbo ATC for our weekly challenge at the PID yahoo group (butterflies and flowers):
This is a great technique, and it will breathe new life into your solid image rubber stamps.  Give it a try and let us know how it worked out for you.
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designs
Design Team

Pin It

3 friends said:

Angie Hall Haviland said...

FABULOUSLY FUN, Eileen!!! Great technique with tons of possibilities!

Lori said...

Yep, great reminder of an oldie but a goodie. Now to just put it to action, that's the thing.....

2amscrapper said...

Thanks for the deets on the technique. What a fun piece!