Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fabric Image Transfer by Eileen Bellomo

Supplies:  Your favorite PID image
                  A piece of scrap fabric
                  Scraps of lace, trimmings, etc.
                  Small length of chain, beads
                  Glue (I used Glossy Accents)
                  Photo Transfer Medium
There are many techniques to transfer a photograph or printed image to a piece of fabric.  I used a photo transfer medium, because that’s what I already had.  But you can use other gel mediums as well



As for the embellishments, raid your stash!  I am not a sewer, but found scraps of lace and some fabric trim that would do nicely.
Follow the directions for the medium you are using.  Generally, you apply it to the face of your image and press it into your fabric:

 



Using something like the back of a spoon, really burnish the image into your fabric.  Let it dry completely.  I put it aside for a few hours, but I think you can hasten the process with a heat tool or iron.

Then moisten the paper and begin to gently rub it off.  I actually held the fabric under running water and rubbed with my thumb.  There may be some white fuzzies left, but they can be removed with some gentle erasing with a gum eraser.

I cut my fabric with the image transfer into an oval shape, glued it onto a piece of chipboard, and then added the lace and fabric trim.  To finish it off, I put a few beads on a short bit of chain and attached it to the back so it dangles off to one side.  And here is my finished piece, which can be a wall hanging, part of a larger piece, such as a shadow box.  It could even be a brooch with the addition of a pin back.




Pin It

4 friends said:

peggy gatto said...

Just lovely!!!
I want to try this too!
thanks!

Elaine A said...

Oh Eileen -

This really came out wonderful! I love it, will have to try this. I'm just amazed at how much detail came through!

Elaine Allen

Tamara Putvin said...

Eileen fabulous technique!! This turned out wonderful.. I am saving this to try..

Wishing you abundant blessings,
Tami

Angie Hall Haviland said...

FABULOUS Technique and piece, Eileen!!