Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Technique Tuesday -- Brayer Resist

I've seen variations of this technique all over the internet, and am not sure of the "real" name, but because of the tool used, I'm calling it "brayer resist."
Gather these materials:


  • craft sheet or other protection for your work surface
  • large detailed stamp or several smaller ones
  • Patterned paper
  • Versamark or other clear embossing ink
  • Clear embossing powder
  • Black ink (I used dye ink; probably other kinds will work as well)
  • Heat tool
  • Paper towel (not in picture...I forgot it!)
Stamp your image(s) right over the patterned paper using the clear embossing ink.  Cover the stamped image with clear embossing powder and set with the heat tool.

 
Ink up the brayer with the black ink and cover the entire paper with it.  You'll have to keep inking the brayer to get an even coat.  If you don't have a brayer you can use the direct to paper method.  Just keep swiping the pad directly over the paper.  Go it all directions until you have an even coat.



When you are done, take the paper towel and buff the entire page.  The areas that were embossed with the clear ink and powder will resist the black ink, and the buffing removes any last bit of it, leaving it only in the unembossed areas.



This is an especially striking look with the black ink, but go ahead and experiment by using another dark color.
Trim the paper to the size you need for your project.  Here is mine ATC sized:



And here is my completed project, done for the weekly challenge on the PID yahoo group:



The theme this week is "hearts and flowers."  I used an image from one of our Valentine collage sheets and embellished it with a stick pin and felt flower.
If you try this week's technique (and you should!)  let us know how it turned out for you.
Eileen
PID Design Team

 

Pin It

8 friends said:

Carol's Crafts said...

Wow, Eileen, I love that technique, and you can bet I will be using it soon.
Thanks

Dorothy said...

Wow, great effect! I love it!

Mel♥ said...

Eileen what a breath stopper !!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

FUN, EASY and STUNNING!!! Thanks for sharing, Eileen!!

MizCarla said...

Beautiful effect Eileen! Loving your Valentine!

Penny Duncan Creations said...

LOVE the technique.......I will be doing that!!!!! So gorgeous!!!

Patzee said...

Gee, you make it look so easy. I love the dramatic effect with the black ink on the multi-colored background. I'll try a lighter tone for something ethereal. If it looks good, I'll post it.

Jan Hoefler said...

It turned out really lovely with the paper you used & of course the stamp. I recall this being called "Joseph's coat". I haven't seen it done with printed background paper, so it's a great twist!