Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Technique Tuesday -- Fun With Drywall Tape!

Nothing better than finding art supplies in the hardware store!  Today, several background techniques using self adhesive mesh drywall tape.  I found mine in a local hardware store.  Great big roll of it for about $3.00!!
Here are some supplies to get you started:


white cardstock     self adhesive mesh drywall tape      assorted inks      ink blending tool or cosmetic sponge
color sprays (commercial or homemade) in various colors 



Cover the cardstock with the tape.  I took away a bit of the stickiness of the adhesive by putting the tape on my shirt a couple of times.  Makes removing it later without tearing the paper a snap.

There are several ways to color the paper now.  Here is the first:



Using the ink blending tool or cosmetic sponge, pounce the colors randomly all over the paper.  My completed piece looks like this, but use whatever colors turn you on:



Now the big reveal,.....pull off the tape and you have:

Try applying the tape on an angle for a different look.  The possibilities with this material are endless!
Now, for another technique.  Spray right over a taped piece of cardstock with the color sprays.  I used a homemade concoction of water, reinker and perfect pearls for a very shimmery look:



I used three complimentary colors.



The paper will be quite wet.  You can wait for this to air dry, but I didn't want to "waste" all this lovely wet spray, so I pressed another sheet of cardstock right on top of this still wet one:



This does two things:  accelerates drying time, and gives you a bonus background paper:



Above is the paper I used to blot off the excess spray.  Much more subtle, but another really nice background.
And this is what the shimmery background looks like:



You can also try this with paint!  
Look how many ATC sized backgrounds I got from one sheet of cardstock:



And here is the ATC I did for this week's PID yahoo group challenge.  The theme is "angels," and my angel is from one of the beautiful cemetery angel collage sheets:



I hope you'll give this a try.  You may even  have some of this tape hiding in the garage or basement!
Eileen
Paper Imagery Designs
Design Team

Pin It

6 friends said:

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Hey I have some of that...FUN STUFF!! Thanks for sharing your techniques :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love new techniques. You are TOPS on my list, Eileen!
Vicki B in OP NY

Penny Duncan Creations said...

Yeppers...I have some of that tape!!! LOVE your technique!!! Looks AWESOME!!!! I'll be using this idea!!! Thank you ma'am!!!!

Mel♥ said...

you never cease to amaze me

Nina said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Now I know why I always have a lingering look at drywall tape in the hardware store! =)

*hugs*
Nina

Patzee said...

I love these background techniques--especially the misted, double exposure tip. These will absolutely make an appearance on my next creations! Eileen, you are so clever. Thanks for sharing.