Friday, November 13, 2009

Recycled Dimples Ornament Tutorial


I've had the idea of making a two sided ornament with the bottoms of soda cans for some time now. Decided to give it a try today and use the wonderful new Mona Christmas Collage Image. Thought I'd share a tutorial with everyone while I was at it.
What you'll need:
2 soda cans (empty, clean and dry)
Craft scissors (not your good paper scissors)
Ribbon
Paper
trim(s)
glue
PID Image
misc. embellishments (endless possibilities)
Cut off the bottom of the cans 1/4 inch up from the bottom edge (where the paint starts)
TIP: I used a 1/4 inch wide piece of masking tape as a guide.

Cut slits at the top, bottom, and sides.

In the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions....see picture below.

(I normally wouldn't labeled it...just did it to explain it here)

Push in the sides to make it slightly smaller.

Then add glue in the center inside and around the edges of the can with the cuts in it.

After doing this I'm not even sure if the glue is necessary...but just gave me a sense of security LOL

Put the other can bottom over the can bottom with the glue and cuts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now your Dimples Ornament base is ready to embellish however you wish.

I went around my ornament with gold ribbon (used 3/8 inch...think I'll use 1/4 inch next time) I used red line tape for the ribbon attachment.

Cut two circles of decorative paper and glued them in the dimples.

Cut out Mona and added her.

Then embellished with trims and glitter glue...added some accents of gel pens, etc.

On the back I added the Merry Christmas (raised on a bit of foam core).

Then added a gold thread for a hanger and glued a bow made from lace on the top and bottom.

FRONT:

BACK:








Pin It

9 friends said:

Dorothy said...

Wow Angie!!! That is beautiful and very clever!!!
Thanks for sharing!!

paperqueen said...

What a great idea! Now I knew there cwas a reason I hadn't taken the soda cans down to the recycling room!
Eileen

Carol's Crafts said...

Wow Angie, That is fabulous. You are so smart to figure that out. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nancy said...

What an ingenious idea! Thank you!

Kat said...

Too cute!

Patzee said...

What an amazing idea! Looks like I just found my post-turkey Thanksgiving Day family project. Thank you sooo much!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

such a lovely transformation of a humble drink can!
thank you for showing how you created this pretty ornament, our local altered arts group is having a metal ornament swap next month...this is inspiring!

ReFabulous said...

What a great tutorial! From the picture I *could not* figure out what the base was... so clever. And how cute would these be with family/kid/pet photos...? Thanks for posting this, and I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!
--Connie

Vic said...

Beautiful ornament! So very "green" of you! LOL