Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Technique Tuesday....Paper Bargello....

Happy Tuesday everyone....today I'm filling in for Eileen and thought I'd share a technique that I've been doing for years and just LOVE. I save my paper scraps and seems I always have lots of left over strips. I have a small drawer full and keep a cup of them on my table. I think Bargello is a BEAUTIFUL technique and can be used on quilts, with needlepoint, and of course painting.....but I think the fastest and possibly easiest is Paper Bargello.

Supplies:
Paper strips
scrap paper
glue (I use glue stick)
exacto (or straight edge cutting metod you prefer)
ruler/straight edge
This technique can be used on any scale and can be changed around in many ways to get different effects. I'm just sharing the basic idea and how I made this ATC.

I used a 3 x 4 paper scrap as my base, it was a lightweight card stock but you can use anything it's just to hold your bargello strips together and they will be glued to your final piece later. I then gathered a pile of paper strips that I thought looked nice together. I arranged different strips on the paper base until I thought the patterns and colors looked nice together and then glued them to the base. I used many different types...scrapbook paper, wallpaper, old greeting cards, and colored cardstock. All different sizes and textures...just grabbed what I thought looked nice...the key is .....don't over think it.


Once your paper strips are glued to the base....trim to the size of the original paper base. Then turn your piece on it's side and use your straight edge and cut strips. I cut with the front side down and number my pieces on the back as I go so I can put them in order later ... just a personal preference. You can cut the same size strips of different size strips ... it's up to you. I knew these were going to be on an ATC so I wanted smaller strips that would give me a bit of movement so I cut 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 inch strips. This 3x4 piece gave me enough strips to make two ATCs.

To use my strips on an ATC I prepared my ATC with a piece of scrapbook paper for a background. I then arranged the strips....many possibilities here....I just went pretty basic with one strip up, one slightly down, one up..etc. You can arrange them in so many different ways and get many patterns....so fun. Decide how you want them and then use your glue stick to glue them to your ATC. I went around the edges of my bargello with paint and then added a BEAUTIFUL little PID Stone Angel, a bit of torn dryer sheet, the word beautiful, and glitter glue...then distressed the edges with a nail file.

Hope everyone will enjoy this technique and have some FUN with it. :)






Pin It

2 friends said:

Carol's Crafts said...

I love this technique, Angie. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it.

Hugs
Carol P

My name is CINDY...... said...

I like the sound of this and I love your angel atc. Thanks for sharing.