Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Technique Tuesday - Ribbon Scrap Window


I was going to call this technique "faux iris folding,"  but it's a little too faux....no iris, no folding, LOL!  This week's challenge theme is autumn, and I decided to do something that would use some of my smaller ribbon scraps.  This technique is ridiculously easy, but the result is beautiful, and you get to feel virtuous when you use those little bits of ribbon you couldn't bear to throw out.
First you need to create a "window" in your paper.  Use a punch, a die cut machine, or trace a shape and cut it with your craft knife.  To keep with the theme, I used a die of a leaf:

And don't toss that leaf shape...use it on another project.  By the way, the background was done with the waxed paper resist technique I posted here two weeks ago.
Next, turn the paper over and apply some adhesive all around the cut out:

Gather together some ribbon scraps in the colors you want....in this case, autumn colors of course:

Now all you have to do is lay the ribbons down so they completely cover the opening.  Overlap them a tiny bit to make sure the cut out is totally covered:

Turn the paper over, and here's the result:

Now all you have to do is add your images and other embellishments.  Here's the ATC I did for the challenge:

I used the image of Grace, PID collage sheet #175, and added a few stamped pine cones.  I also used this technique for a greeting card in the miscellaneous category.  I used a large scallop die to cut my window and simply attached the lovely Sarah, PID collage sheet #116 on top of the ribbons.  She's so beautiful, I felt the card didn't need any further embellishment:

Interestingly enough, I also used this technique on an autumn ATC I did last year.  Here it is:

And there's Grace again!
Hope you'll try this technique and use up those ribbon scraps! (Of course, you can also do this with decorative paper scraps).
Eileen
PID Design Team

Pin It

5 friends said:

Mel♥ said...

Very Awesome Eileen!!! Great technique for autumn leaves too!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Very nice, Eileen....sure I can round up some ribbons for this kind of technique....might have a scrap or two in my stash LOL

ShellyRaeWood said...

Very nice my dear. You know I LOVE Iris Folding!! This is totaly fun too!! TFS!!

Chrystal S said...

Neat idea Eileen! Thanks so much for sharing... Absolutely wonderful way to use ribbon scraps. :)

MizCarla said...

You rock with all of these techniques gal!! This one looks like a lot of fun and I will definitely try it!!

Keep pumping out the inspiration--I LOVE it!
xoxs