Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Brown Bag Background Technique


This weeks challenge on the PID yahoo group is to use a brown paper bag or brown shipping paper for your background. As soon as Angie posted the challenge I knew what I was going to do.

This technique is simple, you only need 3 supplies and you can get many different looks just by changing to color ink you use.

Supplies
Brown Bag or Shipping Paper
Distress Ink
Spray bottle with water

Take your brown bag and crumple it up into a ball. Open it up, smooth out lightly and repeat. You can do this step as many times as you want. Or skip it entirely for a different look.

Once you've got you paper looking wrinkly smooth it out on your work surface. Pick any color of Distress Ink that you like. Now lightly run the ink pad over the paper, allowing the ink to hit the high spots. Do this as many times as you like. Add another color if you'd like.
Now spray the paper with the spray bottle full of water. Watch how the distress ink flows into the low areas.


I hope you enjoyed the technique and if you would like to join in on the PID challenges come join us on the PID yahoo group .

Arlene

Pin It

6 friends said:

Itch2stitch.com said...

I love that idea, really good!

Mel♥ said...

Love it. What does it say " I was a queen.... )

peggy gatto said...

Lovely!!!!

Lori Roberts said...

wow now you really ran with this one and made a gorgeous piece of art out of recycled materials! You rock girl friend!!! Love it!!!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

I'll tell you again...BEAUTIFUL ATC, Arlene :O) Thanks for the technique...I use to do this by rubbing the ink pad across crumpled paper and then spritzing it with water...works on printer paper too. Haven't done that in a while though.

AlteredByMe said...

Thanks for all the comments my arty friends. Sorry I took so long. I always forget to check the comments after I post something.

The quote is " I was a Queen and you took away my crown" by Marie herself. It is part of a longer quote.

arlene