Friday, July 3, 2009

Recycled Wool Milagros

Milagro Recycled Wool Milagros
By Mija Marie


Milagros in Spanish means miracles but milagros are also small charms that are used in prayer. Milagros are made in any number of shapes including feet, hands, hearts (including the sacred heart which has flames), heads, lungs, houses, animals, etc. When using these charms in prayer, it’s like asking for a miracle for whatever the milagro represents. I am of Mexican descent and milagros have been used for many generations in Mexican households.
I started making these felt milagros because I had friends and loved ones who needed affirmations for healing physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I am the director of a non-profit community arts organization and our mission is creative reuse, so I am always looking for ways to re-create with scrap materials. My milagros are made primarily out of wool sweater scraps, and are easy to make:

  1. I wet felt the wool sweater scraps by hand or in the washing machine.
  2. Then I needle felt on top of the wool with luscious fibers.
  3. I then trace the finished felt milagro onto a scrap piece of chipboard and cut out the traced shape.
  4. Finally, I stitch the milagro and chipboard together so it is stable and can be hung on a wall.

Pin It

1 friends said:

Persimmons Gal said...

Love Milagros and these are fantastic ones!!