Thursday, July 23, 2009

Altered People Challenge

This weeks challenge on the PID yahoo group is Altered People. When I saw Angie's little flower girl charm I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the weekly challenge.

I made this 4 x 4 using the PID Twochie Sheet. The images were the perfect size to fit into the center of my flower stamp.

The background technique was accomplished using just one stamp in three different ways. This is a great technique to achieve a layered look for your backgrounds.

Supplies
Watercolor paper
Embossing ink
Clear embossing powder
Distress Ink Firebrick Red


First I look a piece of watercolor paper and stamped randomly around the 4 x 4 with embossing ink. I then used clear embossing powder, melting it with my heat gun.

Using a makeup sponge I then applied the Distress ink over the entire background. At this point you can either cover the embossed areas with ink for a muted look or when your ink dries you can spritz it with water and rub the ink off the embossed areas to make the embossed areas pop. I liked the way the stamped, embossed flowers looked with the ink on them so I let the ink dry.

I then stamped the flower onto a dictionary page. Before cutting the flower image out I glued them on top of another piece of paper to give it a bit more stability because the dictionary page was very thin. This makes it easier to handle when you are trying to apply glue and gluing down the images. I cut out the little girl images and removed the heads and glued to the center of the flower. I applied glue to the neck area of the images and glued them to the back of the flower.

Once I had the little flower fairies glued down on my background I stamped around the edges of my background using antique photo distress ink with the same flower stamp.

And there you have it. A simple way to add a depth and richness to your backgrounds using just a few supplies.

Pin It

5 friends said:

paperqueen said...

So glad you shared the technique you used on your wonderful altered people piece. I admired it, and especially loved the background. So, off I go to do it too!
Eileen

Ann said...

great tutorial!! Love your altered people piece!!

AlteredByMe said...

Thanks! It's a very simple technique but it adds such great texture & depth to your background.

arlene

Angie Hall Haviland said...

(hmmmm sure thought I'd left a comment for you)

FABULOUS piece and instructions, Arlene!!

Nina and/or Ruthie said...

Great tutorial! Love your flower fairies!

~Nina in San Diego~