Monday, June 8, 2009

Fast and Fun Bottle Cap Charms (Tutorial)

Supplies you'll need....

Bottlecap (new/uncrimped)
Rubber Mallet
Thin chipboard (can also be recycled cereal/food box)
1" Circle Punch (optional...but most helpful)..or circle Template
Scissors
Angie's Nest Paper Imagery Design Collage Sheet #628 (or other images you like)
Glue (I used Fabri-Tac)
Glue Stick (HEE HEE I ordered my sheet #628 as a sticker sheet)
Black Sharpie (optional)
Awl
JumpRing
Packing Tape Or Diamond Glaze, etc.



Start with a new uncrimped bottlecap. There are many places on the internet that sell them.
Bang the bottle cap a few times on each side with the rubber mallet (you can also use a regular hammer...but made scuff your bottle cap) on a hard surface. I've heard of some people doing this on concrete but I find that a cutting mat or block of wood works just fine. This will flattened the bottlecap and cause the edges to curl under.

Poke a hole with an awl...(or you may use a nail).

Use the hole punch to punch out your image and a chipboard circle.

Glue circle image on top of the chipboard circle. Apply clear packing tape to the top of the image and smooth. Trim the packing tape.

Edge the circle image with a black sharpie for nice finished edges. With a strong glue (fabri-Tac, all purpose white glue, etc), glue the image into the bottle cap.

Add a Jumpring. Your charm is now ready to hang anywhere.

A second option it to NOT cover your image in packing tape...but add a clear glossy layer of Diamond Glaze (or similar clear demensional sealer/glaze)

With a pin you can pop any bubbles and spread the glaze to the edges. Set aside to dry until clear. The add your jumpring.

Here are two necklaces I made with my finish charms. The first will go to my PID Mingle Partner and the second could be yours....

If you'd like to win this necklace (one on the white background) just leave a comment and include the words "Pick Me" in your comment. I will draw a winner from the comments on June 15th. Please be sure you leave a way for me to contact you.
****WINNER HAS BEEN DRAWN!! Thanks to everyone that left comments!!****

Pin It

16 friends said:

paperqueen said...

OK, let's start off with PICK ME, LOL. Now that that's out of the way, let me tell you that I truly love all of your charms, and the inchie circle sheet Mel did inspired by them is my current favorite.
Oh, and for anyone who owns a cuttlebug or sizzix machine, they do a great job of flattening out bottlecaps.
Eileen

Chrystal S said...

Hey Angie! Great tutorial and awesome necklaces. (As always!!!)
Oh, PICK ME! :)
Chrystal

Elaine A said...

Angie -

Thanks for the wonderfully easy tutorial. You've just reminded me that 2 years ago I got a bunch of unused bottle caps and never did anything with them. I will now, but I would love to own yours. It is so sweet, so "Pretty please Pick me!"

Thanks
Elaine Allen

Ann said...

"PICK ME "!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to have your fabulous necklace!
thanks for sharing how you make them....never thought of the circle under the image..thats why yours look so wonderful...and clear packing tape,NEVER would have thought of that!!!

Nancy said...

Pick me, please!
Thank you for the tutorial - going to have to play soon.

zanysisters said...

With all of the "Pick Me's" out there, how can you decide? I would love to be "picked" by you!

jackie said...

I would be so happy if you would PICK ME! I enjoyed the tutorial - thanks!

Debbie Kaste said...

Pleez pick me!!! I'd wear your charm with pride :) Thanks much for the tutorial.
Debbie Kaste

Dayle said...

I love it. What a great idea to use the packing tape.

I hope I win.

Priscilla said...

PICK ME!!!! The tutorial is great. I want to play with these.

"Stampgram" said...

oooohhh oooohhh PICK ME! I love your bottle cap charms. Great tutorial.

Michaele said...

"PICK ME!!"
Thank you for the opportunity
to win your bottle cap charm and
also for sharing the tutorial.

Geniega said...

I love these and would love to win so please pick me.

Jeri said...

Angie, your bottle cap tutorial is very nicely done! These charms look great incorporated into necklaces, and I bet they'd look fantastic used on those cuffs you are now making. OH, and I'll chime in too, and shout, "pick me, pick me".

Anonymous said...

FYI - I use my Cuttlebug to flatten bottle caps.
It's much easier & quieter than a hammer and
comes out perfectly flattened every time.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I hope I'm still in the drawing for this! Pick me!!
Pats D.