Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Embossed Copper Book Covers

Embossed Copper Book Covers
with Judy Coates Perez Source Cloth Paper Scissors
If you were lucky enough to attend the International Quilt Festival in Chicago last month, you might have watched Judy Coates Perez working on some small painted bird and flower books in the Open Studios at Make It University!™ with Cloth Paper Scissors®.

Click here to buy the Mixed Media Painted Fabric (DVD)!


She has now finished the books, and has graciously offered to share her process with you:
I drew several designs to use for front and back covers for two books, one titled Flora, the other Birds & Bees. I used the “Creative Metal Beginner Kit” Click here to buy now! from Walnut Hollow to emboss the metal. It has a lot of different metal-working tools to add texture and shaping to the metal. All in all it is everything you need to do some serious metal work.

 

I begin by taping the metal to a foam mat and then taping the drawing in place over the metal. I transfer my image to the metal by tracing over my pencil lines with an embossing tool. I remove the paper and use the embossing tool to deepen the lines on the metal and add details by working on the front and the back side of the metal, creating dimension.

.


On this piece of copper I made a small outline around my whole design and filled in the background with stippling by tapping the point of the tool repeatedly over the surface of the metal. This helps the main design stand out from the background.

 

.

I found the best product to color metal is Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks Click here to buy now!. You can apply inks using a felt pad or paintbrush. I wanted to paint color in specific areas so I used a brush to apply the ink. You don't need much when working with the inks, just drop a few drops of ink onto a paint tray and use a paintbrush to apply the ink to the metal.
Here is the finished Flora cover.

Pin It

2 friends said:

Dragonlady said...

Looks likd a very Kewl project....
i like the looks of it..
hugs
brenda

Linda Cain said...

Stunning! A lot of hard work has gone into these beautiful projects.
TFS!

Linda Cain