Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Gesso Resist Tutorial by Eileen

I love quick and easy background techniques for my ATCs and other paper projects. Here's one you'll want to try.

Supplies:
Gesso
Foam Brush
VersaMark™
Clear Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
Silhouette Stamps
Two or three coordinating ink colors
Make Up Sponges
Paper Towel
Sheet Music or Magazine Page

Directions:
Pour a little gesso directly onto the sheet music. Spread it all over with the foam brush. You may need more than one coat. You want it slightly opaque, but you don't want to completely cover the print.
When the gesso is dry, stamp your image with Versamark, cover with clear embossing powder, and heat set.

Using the make up sponges, first rub the lightest ink all over the page. Repeat with the next darkest ink, then the third, if using three. In this example I used two shades of green.
Take a paper towel and rub all over the page. The Versamark stamped image will resist the ink and it will come off, making the image really pop.

Now you can cut the page into the sizes you want to use for your projects. Here's my ATC background:

And here is my finished ATC, using PID collage sheets 579 and 596:














Pin It

12 friends said:

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Great Tutorial, Eileen!! Gesso rocks :)

bloubell said...

I like it and will use it in my altered book tutorial. Looks like bamboo. Great job.

Ann said...

Great tutorial!!!Love this..would write more but I just have to get started on this....................

faerie enchantment said...

This is an amazing tutorial!
Magic and Joy!
Lisa!

Gabrielle Madsen said...

This is such a wonderful tutorial Eileen! Thank you for sharing ;o}

Dragonlady said...

Great tutorial and great techinque....I do want to play with this one....and I really like the stamp you used, is it from SU?
hugs
Brenda

Nancy said...

Excellant technique-much better than scrap paper. Thanks for the info Eileen.

Nancy

Patzee said...

Eileen, what a thoroough tutorial. Looks like I'll be adding another technique to my repetoire. Great use of the SU! stamp and colors!

Lori Roberts said...

How cool is that! I will try it!!! Thanks Eileen!!!!

teri said...

I love this tutorial! Can't wait to try it!!

Mel♥ said...

of course its wonderful

Linda Cain said...

You've done it again! Great job!
I'll have to try this!
Linda