Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shadow Box Frame and Mixed Media Collage on Wood by Carla Naron

"Sweet Boy"
9x7 mixed media collage on wood by Carla Naron

I began this piece by creating a grid. I painted each shape a different color. I then added various decorative papers to each area. To pull the colors together I gave the whole thing a wash of gesso.
I wanted to play with my wood burner on this project, so I experimented with it by making various marks on my piece. I filled in the marks with my black stabilio pencil.
I hand painted the black birds and hearts on a string, and then added a stamped check border in the lower left corner.
I decided the upper right corner needed a little "something" I rummaged through my left-overs and found a charming little piece of aged red and white fabric. I glued it onto the wood with PPA,
added three little faux flowers (held down with small copper tacks) and doodled with my stabilio pencil to give a little more "POP" I still needed a few more details, so back into the left over basket I went and retrieved a little strip of rhinestones, an old wooden bingo marker and letter beads that would spell out the title of this piece.
Sweet little Jacob with his darling wings was the perfect fit to what I already had going. At the time I added him your little guy was in the hospital, so it seemed fitting that Jacob represented all the "sweet boys" out there.



"Luck of the Irish"
5x7 collage inside shadow box frame by Carla Naron

5x7 piece of mat board
images from collage sheet #478
faux flowers
rhinestones
computer generated text
scallop punch
green card stock
acrylic paint (2 shades of green and cream)
ribbon
2 small bottles
shadow box frame

Using a cosmetic wedge paint mat board with the darker green paint. Lightly sponge on the lighter green shade using the same sponge. Lightly add a small amount of cream paint (again using the same sponge.)
Glue a bit of ribbon across top with tacky glue. Add three faux flowers to ribbon, and glue a rhinestone into the center of each flower.
Computer generate text.
Glue lovely Irish lass to the left of mat board with perfect paper adhesive.
Cut out text, ink the edges with black ink and glue onto collage.
Punch a scallop shape from green card stock and glue shamrock image to it. Ink edges of scallop to help stand out from the background.
Fill two small bottles with glitter, add text, ribbon and small jewel. Glue the bottom of the bottles to the bottom of the shadow box frame to help stay in place. Add collage to frame.



Pin It

3 friends said:

Angie Hall Haviland said...

MIZZ Carla!!!! Love your pieces!! Sweet Boy indeed!! LOVE this piece...inspires me to use the wood burner I had to have LOL and the St Patick's collage is WONDERFUL. You are wonderfulwith the paint!!

paperqueen said...

Miz Carla, you have been very busy! I adore both your pieces. And that sweet boy makes my heart melt!
Eileen

Linda Cain said...

Wonderful piece of ART!
Linda