Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weekly Challenge and Background Technique


Here is a 4 x 4 I made for Angies Red & Blue Challenge this week. Isn't Jacob such a sweetie pie?

I love the way my background turned out on this.Here is how I achieved this layered look.
First I glued a piece of music sheet across the bottom of a 4 x 4 piece of water color paper. I then put a layer of gesso over it. Once it was dry I painted the background red. Be sure to let each layer dry completely. Then I pulled out a couple of small plastic stencils and dry brushed over them with a blue paint on my background. Using a light hand just skim the brush bristle across the stencil allowing it to fill in some areas of the stencil and leaving some uncovered with the paint. After the paint dried I stamped the numbers along the top and bottom. I then stamped a triangle along the sides with blacksoot distress ink.

Then I dry brushed some streaks of black paint all over the 4 x 4. When all the paint and ink was dry I glued my images on and added a border along the top and bottom, drawing the small triangle border with a black marker.

Add some shading along the edges of some of the images with a charcoal pencil.

Thanks for looking!

Arlene



Pin It

4 friends said:

Mel♥ said...

Arlene that is way awesome!!! Great job!
M

Angie Hall Haviland said...

ASOLUTELY FABULOUS piece, Arlene!! So glad you played along!!

Linda Cain said...

GREAT job! TFS!

Dragonlady said...

Realy great art, Arlene, and thanks for the techinque too..
Brenda