Saturday, February 7, 2009

Faux Silk Background Tutorial by Eileen

This is an old favorite of mine, and requires a few basic materials that I'm sure everyone has.

Materials:


tissue paper

rubber stamps

stamp pads

white glue (I used Perfect Paper Adhesive; use what you have!)

cardstock

Stamp your images on the tissue paper. I started with a textural background stamp, then stamped over it with some leaf images. I used earth tones for this. But try it with any colors you like.

Gently crumble up the tissue paper and even more gently flatten it out again. You don't want to tear it, but you also don't want to get rid of all the wrinkles. Cover the cardstock (I used a neutral beige color) with the white glue. Spread it all over. Press the tissue paper into the glue, making sure it is well adhered, but letting some of the wrinkles remain. Allow the glue to dry. You can help this along with the heat gun if you're impatient like me!
Trim away any excess tissue paper. Cut to the desired size and use in your project.

I used my faux silk background for this piece:

I used PID sheets: Bella 102, Birds 226, and Mushrooms.

I used Tim Holtz Idea-ology hardware (also available at the PID shop): jump ring, philosophy tag, trinket pin

All the stamps, ink and cardstock are Stampin' Up.

Variations: Cover the tissue paper with another coat of white glue. If you use one with a glossy finish you'll get a different look. After the glue dries, spray the piece with some glimmer mist.

Pin It

9 friends said:

AngieHallHaviland said...

FABULOUS background Tutorial, Eileen!!! LOVE this!! and your finished piece is BEAUTIFUL!!

Angie
http://angiehallhaviland.typepad.com/angiesartfulllife/

♥ Mel ♥ said...

Very nice Eileen!!

paperqueen said...

Thank you! And it really is a striking background; looks way better in person.
Eileen

Dragonlady said...

Great tutorial Eileen, and looks easy enough tht I can do it...lol..
Thanks

Brenda

paperqueen said...

Gimmee a break, Brenda! You can do anything!!
Eileen

MizCarla said...

Cheers Eileen!!! I love this look!

xoxs

Debby said...

This is lovely Eileen. You are all very talented ladies.

Linda Cain said...

Great job! TFS!
Linda

Sarah Zambiasi Art said...

This looks really beautiful!