Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dryer Sheet Background by Eileen Bellomo

This is a great background for a wintery piece, but I think with a different color underneath it could be used at any time of the year. I'm thinking pinks or reds for Valentine's Day. Here is what you will need:

A base for your piece. I've used a coaster.


Paint. Plain craft paint is fine. Blue is a great choice for a winter piece. I've never tried it, but am thinking black would be dramatic.


White glue. I used Mod Podge. Elmer's works fine too.


A brush. Foam is fine.


Glitter. For this winter background I used white. Blue or silver would work well too. Or a combination of all three.


A used dryer sheet.

Step one: paint your base. Don't worry about brush marks; they won't show.

Step two: when the paint dries, cover the piece with a generous coat of white glue.


Step three: while the glue is still wet, take the used dryer sheet and press it onto the wet surface. If you're anxious to try this and don't have a used sheet, take a new one, dampen it slightly, crumble it up in your hand to make it wrinkly, and dry it with a hair dryer. You can use a heat gun, but keep it a good distance from the sheet so it doesn't melt.


Step four: Brush on another coat of glue over the dryer sheet. While the glue is still wet, sprinkle the glitter over it.


Step five: Let the piece dry completely, then trim away any excess dryer sheet. Now you have a glittery wintery background for your art. Here is the piece that I made with mine. I used Christmas sheet #348 and David #280.


Pin It

5 friends said:

Dragonlady said...

Eileen, this is a great tutorial and an easy one to do, now if i only had time...But I will be using this later..
thank you
Brenda

AngieHallHaviland said...

FABULOUS tutorial, Eileen!! THANKS!!

Lori Roberts said...

How Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah W said...

thanks for this Eileen, bought drier sheets today so will give it a go.

ScaryCheri said...

Eileen, wonderful project. Thanks for sharing the directions. I seem to have a laundry basket with some used dryer sheets in it just begging to be used, lol. I don't know how they acumulate so fast. Hugz, Scary